University of Arizona
Assistant Professor of Practice, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, University of Arizona
The Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (AREC) is seeking applicants for an Assistant
Professor of Practice position to teach courses in environmental and resource economics, and related
areas. The position also includes undergraduate coordination and student recruitment for the
undergraduate program in AREC. This is a 9-month, full-time appointment with the following split: 80%
instruction; 10% research; and 10% service. The position is non-tenure track with established promotion
guidelines to advance in rank at the University of Arizona. Professors of Practice are recognized as
members of the General Faculty and are eligible to vote on matters of faculty governance. Initial
contract will be for one year but eligibility for two- or three-year contracts is possible in subsequent
years conditional on excellent annual performance reviews and promotion in rank.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Teach six AREC courses during the academic year (fall, spring semesters, mix of live and online) in
environmental and resource economics, and related areas. Summer school teaching, paying
additional stipend, is highly encouraged.
• Provide mentoring and supervision to undergraduate and graduate students (e.g., honors student
theses, independent study projects, supervision of graduate teaching assistants and preceptors,
graduate student advising).
• Work with faculty and advisors in developing curriculum, delivering classroom instruction,
fomenting career-readiness preparation, and monitoring outcome assessments.
• Engage in professional development in instruction both on campus as well as nationally.
• Demonstrate a strong interest in collaboration and engagement with diverse communities.
• Ph.D. degree in agricultural economics, environmental and resource economics, or related
• Relevant teaching and student mentoring experience in classroom settings.
• Demonstrated excellence in college-level teaching.
• Strong communication and mentoring skills.
• Demonstrated experience in and/or knowledge of environmental and resource economics and
related disciplinary areas.
• Demonstrated ability to design college-level coursework.
• Demonstrated research activity in agricultural economics, environmental and resource economics
or related disciplines.
• Demonstrated ability to inspire and motivate students.
Rank: Assistant Professor of Practice
Tenure Information: Career-Track (CT)Work Calendar: Academic
Starting Date: July 1, 2021 or as negotiated.
Rate of Pay: Competitive for position.
Contact Information for Candidates: Gary Thompson, email@example.com.
Documents Needed to Apply:
Please submit the following items: (1) your curriculum vitae; (2) a cover letter expressing why you are
interested in this position; (3) a statement of your teaching philosophy; (4) a job market paper; and (5)
provide contact information for three references. The application review process will begin April 15,
2021 and continue until a suitable candidate is identified. Application materials should be submitted to:
To apply for this job please visit arizona.csod.com.